Monday, September 12, 2011

Is it Fall yet?

 This cool weather feels like fall!  Can we now have no more hot weather?  I'm done with it!  Cooler temperatures have inspired me to bake more.  Here is a peach pie, having the strips put on.  That's a new gadget to cut pie crust and noodles with zigzag edges.  I love using it.





 Having some extra yeast dough, I made cinnamon buns with caramel and pecan topping.  That's only about a dozen nuts, broken and sprinkled into the brown sugar and butter in the bottom of the pan.  Even if your original recipe, that you bought them for, calls for a whole package of nuts, you can always hold out a dozen or so.
 

After  school, Eliyah made biscuits and we ate them while reading the last of "Farmer Boy"  Now we are reading "Black Beauty"

I have been using a syrup made of raspberries on my ice cream for several weeks, knowing that it wouldn't keep forever.  A couple of nights ago I poured it on my ice cream and noticed a peculiar texture, sort of slimy and my heart sank.  I tasted it and it had molded.  Yuck!!!  But I didn't want to throw the ice cream away.  I stood there staring at it.  Then I turned on the cold water and rinsed the two scoops of ice cream quickly and put them into a clean bowl.  They were a mite smaller but not harmed at all and I was happy to have saved them!
These are our menus for the week:
Sunday:  Large Shrimp cocktails( a dozen apiece) baked potato with sour cream, tossed salad, ice cream
Monday:  Salmon patties, cheesey broccoli rice, salad with tomato, canteloup
Tuesday:  Clam chowder, beef and hot pepper cheese, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, dark chocolate
Wednesday:  Salmon patties, cheesey broccoli rice, salad, dark chocolate
Thursday:  Pizza and salad, dark chocolate
Friday:  chicken Fajitas with rice, refried beans, salsa and tortillas, chocolate sheet cake with ice cream
Saturday:  hamburgers, garlic roasted potatoes, cake and ice cream.

We went to the grocery a week ago and spent $203.  I plan to visit the road-side vegetable stand in Ellettsville tomorrow but that expenditure will be included in next month's shopping trip.  It won't be much as his prices are very reasonable.
We are planning a family dinner for October and I am getting out cook books looking for something yummy. My daughter has suggested hot pasties which sounds very good.  I hope lamb is on sale at the butchers when I go.

2 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon buns were delicious! I could have eaten the entire pan. And to think....they were made out of "left overs!"

    ReplyDelete