Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cool Weather


     Well, we've had our first frost, and our second.  I've brought in all the green tomatoes to ripen on the kitchen counter.  I also brought in all the house plants who were enjoying life on the front porch.  They obviously like it there as they always grow big leaves.  Not more than 3 hours of sun a day and the birds to talk to them.  But what's this, the Christmas Cactus has bloomed already.  I wasn't expecting that.  I'm sure it's because I didn't cut it back this year. Last year I was visiting in a house where one whole dormer was taken up with a Christmas cactus blooming in March.  It was huge, as big as a bushel basket and as happy as a plant ever is.  I decided then to stop cutting mine back and see what happens.  Now it hangs over the kitchen sink (so I don't forget to water it) and if I get too slouchy while washing dishes I hit my head on it.  It's the perfect level to admire the showy blossoms.








     I am in a swivet to finish my painting work in the garage before it gets too cold for the paint to dry.  Last year I contracted to faux-grain an antique trunk.  They sent it to be stripped and I didn't hear anything about it and now this year it has been sent over and oh, my it was much larger than I had anticipated.  My Husband was quite taken with it and got some new handles for it.  Then he fixed the wheels and leveled them.  It has rounds of wood set in the metal frame of the bottom  that roll only side to side, like old treadle sewing machines.  There is so much decorative metal work that I have spent rather a lot of time just putting on the base coat.    I would have painted some today but the rust proof primer still smells so I think it's not dry enough.  Here it is before the primer.




     I went to Spring Mill park this month with my friend and I noticed something I had not noticed before.  There is a tree there that has a mouth and he is definitely trying to say something!







     I think I mentioned that I have upped the budget for our groceries.  I seem to have settled on $30 a week per person.  We were ready for some luxuries.  Maybe it's the coming of winter, although I'm not sure ice cream should be considered a winter food!  At any rate we have a lovely menu for this week.

Sun.  Marinated Pork Roast, mashed potatoes, fresh peas and carrots, Ice Cream
Mon.  Clam chowder,cheese spread sandwiches, salad, dark chocolate candy bar
Tues.  Sliced roast pork, buttered rice, tossed salad with feta cheese, frozen fruit cocktail
Wed. Birthday,  Shrimp cocktail, steak, baked potato, salad, Pineapple up-side-down cake
Thurs. Chicken divan, with noodles and broccoli, salad, cake
Fri. Hamburgers on rye buns with sauteed mushrooms, roasted potato sticks, cake
Sat. company, Chicken fajitos with rice and refried beans, tortillas and salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment