Sunday, August 5, 2012

New things

      In spite of my buying diet, things do come into my house.  People send me things, or give them to me when I help them move, or I just break down and buy them anyway.  Last month my sister-in-law came to visit me and I joyfully took her to all the antique malls, and of course, in the spirit of companionship, I bought a couple of things, noteably this mincey purse, so called because carrying it absolutely forces one to mince slightly with each step, it's so girly.  Saks Fifth Avenue too, so it's marked!

 And then my best friend sent me some Hollyhock seeds, in time for fall planting.  Thank you Ida!

 And these aren't new, I've had them for 50 years.  I asked my then new husband to get them for me when we were newly married and had bought a sewing machine for me to use.  "A good pair of scissors" I said as I sent him off to the store.  He bought the best, some Gingher shears.  I used them for decades, having them sharpened every so often, until they no longer worked, having been sharpened too many times.  We sent them back to the factory last month to be refurbished and for $7.50 they were fixed, sharpened and inserted into a new sheath and mailed back to me, good as new!  I was most delighted to have them back, like old friends.
 When I went to drop off stuff at Good Will, I could not resist going in.  I found a little china "trug" style basket for Mary Lincoln.

Now for some cut flowers to put in it!

But these last two I shamelessly shopped for and, though I put off buying the head for a month, eventually I caved in and went to the Seventh Street Mall and bought her!
She is only a head but I am getting ready to make her into a whole doll.
  
 This contemporary boy doll and Limoges tea or soup cup with miss-matched saucer just came along with.  The total was $21.50 so not a serious budget deficit!












I have been keeping the food budget at $70 or below each week though and it has so far worked out.  I'm worried that prices will surge when it becomes apparent that the harvest has failed because of the drought.  We are in the midst of it here.  Last night it rained all over the state but only a few drops fell here.
     Here are my suggested menus:
Today, big meatballs, small tomato sauce and miniscule pasta.  I will have as an appetizer hot spinach and artichoke and cheese  dip with french bread slices for the others.  I'll just eat mine with a spoon!  And a big tossed salad and canteloup and blueberries for dessert.
Tomorrow salmon, roasted vegetables, salad and low carb ice cream.
Tuesday hamburgers and salad and chocolate square.
Wednesday the second salmon dinner, about the same though I might just fix steamed broccoli instead of the roasted veggies.
Thursday Lamb patties with sour cream and cucumber sauce and a salad enriched with herbs and lots of cheese.
Friday an old favorite. Chicken Fajitas with refried beans but no rice.
Saturday we'll have chicken and herbed cream cheese sandwiches on low carb bread and pumpkin and peanut butter soup.  

     This is not all the stuff that has come into my house this month but I'll save some for later!    

2 comments:

  1. That doll head looks like one of us! She's a Weill to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu think so? That's why I fell in love with her!

    ReplyDelete