Sunday, August 12, 2012

Feeling grateful

     I don't know why but as I age, I don't sleep as well as I used to.  After two nights of interrupted sleep, I woke up grumpy at 3:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep.  After several hours of trying I gave up and got up to get breakfast.  Padding around the house in bare feet, I went towards the dining room to get the big teapot and at the window I stopped, entranced.  Three deer, two does and a yearling were drinking out of the tub I've put out so that the birds could have water.  They were hardly 8 feet from me and with the room darker than the dawn beginning outside, they couldn't see me and I was able to watch them for about ten minutes.  Immediately I felt different, I felt grateful for the many good things, the birds at the birdfeeder, the sturdy wildflowers that bloom in spite of the drought and now a few deer.  I watched them until they moved on and then fixed breakfast with a different attitude.   Still feeling grateful, I went out in the evening to see the meteor shower though we are so close to town I usually don't see much but this year was different.  At 11pm I saw two but when I woke up again at 3:30 I saw 4 or 5, three big bright ones and two so faint I wasn't sure.  Then I came in, thoughly chilled and snuggled under the cover and went back to sleep again.

     Last week I showed you a picture of an inexpensive contempory doll (1989), cheap and not worth much he nevertheless intrigued me and I have been working on him this week.  Not entirely finished but here he is today:

       That's a cashmere sweater I've cut down for him, nickers and a newsboy hat, made from the material I've bought to make my fall suit.  Here's hoping I haven't cut off too much!  He still needs shoes, a bag for his papers and a white shirt.  Bill is looking for proper sized newspapers too.  I am very happy with how he is looking.
     For breakfast this morning I made an Italian omelette, with mushrooms, mozzerelli and leftover spaghetti sauce.  I liked it very much!

 
Pork fajitas tonight at 7pm, to watch "New Tricks" and eat in front of the tv.  We only do this on Sunday nights as a treat.

     I have been looking at my stats and was astonished at the number of people from other countries who read my blog!  Welcome to Russia, France, UK, Germany, Latvia, Ukraine, Vietnam, Canada, Sweden and Australia!  And anyone else who's interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment