Friday, March 16, 2012

If this is spring, I have survived!

 
This great poster is by my friend Josh Johnson and it advertises his upcoming show in Indy.  I fell in love with this fox immediately!

It's so warm here, all the records are falling, 80, even 82 in March!  I have gone right out and bought some lettuce seed.  My bed is all ready as I put down black plastic last summer.  I have already planted some Rose of Sharon seed I found in seed pods on the way home from digging up cedars along the 4-lane.  My white pines are slowly dying, either from old age or because we found and repaired the water leak among them.  Pines are not doing so well these days anyway, I can't tell if it's a mite or some defoliant, it depends on where you get your news.  I thought I'd replace some of the dead trees with cedars, which are hardy and drought resistant.  We had so many in Virginia when I was growing up, I quite think of them as old friends.  And free.  I just dug up the 3" ones that have come up on the wide verge since the last mowing.  Anything bigger than that is too hard to dig up, the tap root is very long.

I am having sort of a crises with food since finding out I am diabetic.  Books and internet sites are confusing, and my Doctor seems to wish I would just stop eating anything at all.  "Just leaves and stems and things like that" he said to me last week.   "If you didn't eat anything at all these problems would all be gone in a week" !
So I won't be having any menus for this week.  I am struggling with carbohydrates, which I have pretty much lived on all my life, and the expense of buying much larger portions of meat and fresh vegetables.  I suspect I will have to go back to once a week shopping.  My own attitude is the biggest problem.  I dream of stuffing on strange cakes, swimming in chocolate syrup and mountains of ice cream. I am angry about a lack of buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy. However, larger spinach omelets are OK  and the prospect of frequent guacamole is enticingI can have cream and mayonnaise, if in small quantities.
Thank goodness for friends who share their knowledge and experience with me.  I am still doing research and will fill you in as I become more educated.






No comments:

Post a Comment