Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Seasons

Cold Weather
It was 42 degrees this morning when I got up.  Outdoors, I mean.  In the house it was about 60 but it didn't feel appreciably warmer.  Cold damp air seeped in around the door.  There's no heating to turn on but there's plenty of wood stacked up beside the stove.  I hate to build the first fire of the season though.  It usually warms up by the middle of the day and then the house is too hot!  I burrow under a throw on the couch, drinking hot coffee and watching the news.  "Frost on Friday"!  "Oh, I'll have to bring in the house plants this week"  I think
The summer has grown tiresomely long in it's heat and dryness.  The warm weather I waited for so anxiously last spring has become like a drug on the market.  Now, as the coffee fogs my glasses, I anticipate the cosiness of winter,  ther fire toasting my face and hot beverages warming the rest of me.  And then there's Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, not to mention our Birthdays and Anniversary.  Ah, my favorite time of year! 
Of course I remember that in February last year I moaned about Spring, the blue skies, the knock-your-eye-out bright green grass, Easter, Mother's Day. . . .Ah, my favorite time of year!
And then Summer, the picnics, grilling out, flowers and more flowers - my favorite time of year!  So how is it then that by the end of each season I'm so worn out, so tired of it - so ready for the next season?  It almost seems planned . . . .
My last rose of Summer!

1 comment: