Sunday, February 20, 2011

second hand things, pretty things

These lovely sheets with the lily pad motif, are imported cotton and cost about $22.

      As I threatened last time, today I will show you some cheap things, by which I mean second-hand, which I treasure and which decorate my home with-out bankrupting me!  Also, they are being reused and recycled so it's a very "green" thing to do.  Such hand work as many of these pieces are is not to be found new today.  I have a fascination for "Women's Work" in any age
but especially from the  depression.

I cannot read the painters name so far, I just liked the painting.  $25

This came in a lot from ebay the whole thing costing about $10 plus postage.  I'm getting ready to frame it.  Despite what I said about modern work, it is new and very nicely done with ribbon roses on top of the embroidery.

Also from ebay but not the same lot, $3,  it's approx 25 yards of lace!  It will be perfect for the many glass towels I make

I love this pillow case, part of the above named lot.

Crocheted piece from the same lot, Lady with a fan and suitor?

Red work, also from same lot

$3 tablecloth from Goodwill

Another $3 tablecloth, cut up and sewn into glass towels.  The damask is very heavy.  There were holes and small stains which prevented it from being used as a tablecloth.  8 towels.

I watched Ms. Elliot paint this and she charged me $5 for it.

And this is the pot we were supposed to be painting, bought at a garage sale.

We bought this at an Antique store, mislabeled as a print for $40.  It's a watercolor by Wayne Cooper.

My Husband bought this on ebay for not very much.  The artist is Thomas

I love making pasta with a machine bought on ebay

This is a card sent to me by a daughter, which I liked so much I framed it.

This museum reproduction pitcher was $1 at the very end of an Auction

What on earth are these wild things on this tablecloth?  It was made about 1940, from all the clues.  It cost about $22

1 comment: