Sunday, September 5, 2010

A little snack

     When we get to the last few days of our two weeks of groceries, snacks get kind of scarce.  Then it's a good time to make graham crackers.  I got the recipe on the internet, of course.  I've gone back to recipe cards and a loose leaf notebook with print-outs of favorite recipes.  In fact, I've given away most of my cookbooks, since I have my favorites pretty much memorized.  I rarely buy new cookbooks because there may be only 3 or 4 good new recipes in a whole book.  I mean the kind of food we end up eating every month or even every week.  It would be worth paying for, of course, but I could get the books at the library, or if I do buy them, give them away for Christmas presents.  Have to keep those clean, though.  I did that this week. Bought a new book, I mean.   It was the newly published soup book from my favorite lunch restaurant. From that I made a south-western corn chowder that was very good indeed.  But back to graham crackers.  It's sort of a biscuit with sweeteners.  Whole wheat flour and self-rising white flour and brown sugar, and lots of cinnamon, are combined with butter or margerine.  Oh, I forgot to say I had just finished canning some carrots!

Now a small amount of water mixed with the molasses and honey is stirred in.  I grease the bottom of my
two biggest pans and, dividing the dough in two, roll each half out as thin as I can get it.  Then I use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into small squares, about 40 per pan.  After I bake them I have to cut them again and get them off the pan before they get too crisp.



A fair number of them don't survive through this step as the smell brings every one in the house to sample.  After they cool, they are put into the cookie jar and become the snack of choice until they are all gone.


This is a very old candy or peanut jar that came from my Mother-in-law's candy shop down by the Grade School.  Though it doesn't show in the picture, it is etched "Cookies".  I have a whole set of old jars etched like that.  My daughter, an artist, taught me how to use etching cream on glass and I have had a lot of fun with it.  Well, today I plan to make doll clothes.  I will take some pictures of that too.  Let me know if you want the recipes for these goodies, I wasn't sure if people expected recipes from a blog.



2 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember something about a candy shop...a little shack type-thing. Tell me more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you remember that, you were so small. It was shack-like, for sure. It had always been a candy shop, sometimes closed but never turned into anything else. There were many old signs and advertising tins that I wish I had today. Grandma offered me the glass jars, because they kept getting new ones full of candy, and she knew I kept a pantry with supplies in my house. She thought I would use them and I did.

    ReplyDelete