Saturday, September 18, 2010

Christmas for the dolls

     It started out very innocently, I tell you, it was just a suggestion.  I think I've mentioned that I love this season of the year, the holidays, the weather, the scenery during the fall.  I even love winter right up through Christmas.  I'm pretty much done with it then.  But my children are all grown up and the chaotic Christmases of the past are quiet now.  And I guess I resent that, some.  I was pondering that and trying to think of ways to jolly up my Christmas this year.  I've always loved Tasha Tudor, for her stubbornly living the kind of life she chose, and I remembered that she always had Christmas for the dolls in her establishment.  So I wrote that down on my list, a short list, I have to admit. Dolls' Christmas.  I didn't think it was all that great an idea though.
     Then I couldn't get  it out of my head.   What would a Doll's Christmas look like?  I had a momentary flash of tiny Christmas cards in tiny envelopes.  Tiny cakes.  Tiny presents, and then "Oh, What kind of presents would they like"?  Really, I thought it was harmless to speculate because it wasn't really going to happen, was it?
     I was momentarily flummoxed because all the dolls do not have names.  Time to remedy that.  But then what about the dolls who are packed away in boxes, we couldn't have Christmas without them, could we?  Then, what about the dolls who have recently received presents, like my large tin head who was just given a lovely mandolin, to scale, which has the further advantage of playing music when wound, by my dear friend A______.  One voice in my head said, "they don't know anything, you can do what ever you want" but another voice said "they'll know if you're not fair"  and so on.  I began to troll the house for objects that would serve as presents.  I even had the thought that there were certain objects that I didn't want to give away!  As if I wouldn't still own them if they were given to a doll that I already own!
     Now, you can see that it has gotten completely out of hand and has taken on a life of its own.  And I am constantly busy making dolls dresses, glueing on wigs, surfing the internet looking for ideas.  I got a pattern for lace mitts there!  My husband was drawn in, working on 40 miniature Christmas cards with stamps which will be canceled before delivery.  I am looking for a suitable postal box.


Ana doll
Dolls in need of clothing




Abe and Mary







the upstairs gang

The downstairs gang
The big tin head is named Beatrice

Marie Clair is having a fitting for her new dress and petticoat


     So you can see that I have pretty much gone gaga as we used to say.  I am enjoying it to a ridiculous extent.   More on the Doll's Christmas soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment