Saturday, August 24, 2013

I saved us $600!

 
     We've had our little settee for 13 years, sat on it almost every night to watch tv, slept on it some nights, restless.  We wore it out!  So, for Christmas, we decided to get it reupholstered.  We called a place we knew.  They said "Sure, we'll call when we're ready for you".  That was at the end of January.  I did call and plead at one point.  In May they said we could pick out the fabric.  That was hard, though they had so many fabrics, they didn't look like I had imagined.  Eventually I picked one out.  If they had started then, I would have gone with it.  But they didn't call back until July.  By then I had only a vague memory of the fabric and a certain aversion.  Then too came the estimate:  $650. . .  We had chosen them because they had a reputation for being a little cheaper than some other places.  I realized that we could probably buy a second-hand one for half that, maybe even a new one for less.  Of course, I had long since spent the money we had budgeted for it.  It didn't take me long to decide.  I'd make a slipcover for it myself!  A few decorating magazines showed a clear trend towards muslin, or even natural canvas.  I got my coupons together.  My daughter sent me a gift certificate too.
     I confess that I didn't buy enough fabric the first day, but as soon as I figured it out, I went back and was able to buy more from the same bolt.  14 yards, about $50.  I hemmed the ends and washed it. Then I started.

 I made 19 yards of cording, using a vintage cording foot on my vintage Kenmore sewing machine.

First I made the cushion cover.


Each piece was pinned to the  settee to cut. A couple of times I had to pick out and resew parts but I persevered!

We are quite satisfied with it.  And it comes off to be washed.  It took me about a week.  And wasn't such a chore that I wouldn't do it again.  I am afraid I am quite pleased with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment