Monday, March 4, 2013

Bright Ideas

     It turns out that I am allergic to carpet beetles.  Nobody else here is, just me.  And how allergic!  Big red welts and how it itches!  But we have learned that a thorough cleaning and vacuuming reduces the chances of my having a new crop of welts considerably.  So once a month now, I deep clean.  Move all the furniture, vacuum all the carpet, mop all the floors.  Fresh sheets every few days.  The Victorians would consider that the bare minimum of house cleaning, I'm sure. Last week I did all that.  I was a cleaning fiend.  And afterward, I got my self a prize.  Some "Nick and Nora" Pajamas.  Extra Large, but of course they lied.  They almost fit but were too tight in places.  I was undismayed.  I added large white gussets where space was needed and now they fit perfectly.  These are really Spring time pajamas.  Notice that some of the birds are reading books,  truely these are Ana Pjs.


     At Christmas, the people who supply me with eggs gave me a sweet squash, which I kept on the counter as a decorative element.  Then I decided to use it.  I baked it whole, cut it in half, cleared out the seeds and mashed up the pulp.  I was surprised how sweet it was. Some I ate on the spot.  The rest was made into a curried soup with some chicken and broth and served with chicken salad  with grapes and pecans.  What a lovely lunch to have in winter with a friend.  Afterward we went to Spring Mill Park for an early look around.  Luckily it was almost warm that day.



     Bill and I often talk about Little House subjects, especially when we are working on a project or reading a related book.  Right now I'm reading  Little House, Long Shadow by Anita Clair Fellman.  Such analytical books often bring out my most argumentative side, believe me!  I am loath that any criticism be leveled at my heroine Laura.  So it is not surprising perhaps, that Bill has dreamed about the Ingalls.  He woke up this morning talking about a restaurant dedicated to the Little House Books.  So I got busy and made up a menu.  It was a good excuse to make biscuits for breakfast too!

     Now all I have to do is win the lottery to open a half dozen or so Restaurants!


     The last bright thing is this, after all these weeks, the orchid is finally beginning to bloom!  One wouldn't have thought it would stay in the bud so long!  The last picture I took for you was a month ago! 

     I am so happy it's March and almost not Winter any more!

4 comments:

  1. I can see you opening a Little House restaurant! What a great idea! But it would be a tremendous amount of work. Maybe it could be one of those places that only open when they want to.

    What a treat that your squash was sweet! I adore chicken salad with grapes and nuts. Yum!

    Spring is coming soon even though it's difficult to believe.

    Love, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick and Nora pajamas are the best...I have been able to find them at the end of winter for a steal at Target. I have pink and red with giant sock monkeys, and another pair with blue, yellow, and green pears. The pears remind me of Marrimeko (sp?)fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, these still had the Target tags on them, listing them at $29.99, but I got them at Good Will for $2.64 on Senior Citizens Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. $2.64 is a great deal!!! They look super cute. I got an Ann Taylor dress at Value Village last weekend for $10. I was a bit proud...

    I like your Ingalls' diner idea. But, Christine is onto something when she says it would be a ton of work.

    I kind of miss March in Indiana. Though the fruit tress are already blooming here. Very pretty, even if the sun hardly shines.


    ReplyDelete