Sunday, January 6, 2013

After Christmas

I've studied a lot of books on English life-style, from housekeeping to fashions to needlework and read lots of English Village Mysteries.  I do enjoy the English way of life.  And I'm looking forward to tonight's Downton Abby.  But I've been thinking ......how much of our lifestyle here in the states reflects English antecedents?  Aren't we, the "melting pot" strongly influenced by English customs?  Clothing, well, though we are always buying "new", there is really nothing much new: suits, ties and shirts, sweaters, even overalls and work shirts haven't changed much in hundreds of years.  Women wearing pants may be considered new but  jodhpurs have been worn for horse-riding by women for a long while.   And then we have the manicured lawns like English Estates.  The large houses with lots of room for entertaining, though most people don't entertain much anymore.  It is frequently mentioned in ads for new houses  We like to see ourselves as the "getters" rather than the servers in life, at all economic levels.  In fact, isn't entitlement rampant today in our society?  I would love to hear your arguments.
     On Christmas, I got out the one tablecloth we only use once a year, because it sports bells on the crocheted lace around the edges.  Here is our Candle-lit Christmas scene.  There's a glimmer on top of the little tree too but I assure you it's just a reflection!

 In the center of the table I placed another crocheted doily.

Because I always like to have biscuits on my table!

     Since the holidays, Bill and I have been very busy on our many projects.  Bill has been working at a job repairing six locks for a large piece of furniture being restored by Tim Puro.  I have found him at all hours, sitting on the floor near some outlet, happily grinding something metal.  Now they are all working beautifully.

 
 And between us, we redesigned Miss Hickory's room.  Now it has windows with lace curtains!  I've added things and subtracted things.  My head is taken up with the tasks she must be prepared to do.  Bill has ordered her a dish pan!  Note the new flooring.

 Since she is an ongoing project, more photos of her later.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Christmas home as well as Miss Hickorey's room. I enjoy seeing both.
    Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete