Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hyalophora Cecropia (silkmoth)

     Spring came early this year.  I was out pruning the shrubs in March.  I pruned a large, really a giant cocoon off one of our Rose of Sharon.  I put it in a muddy gallon glass jar I had used last year to protect a little tomato plant when I first put it out.  Later I found a second one, different in style.  The two jars stood on the patio table for 3 months or so.  During a period of cold and rainy weather when I didn't go out to do yard work (and check the jars)  something large came out of one and expired in the bottom of the jar.  I felt awful that I didn't catch it but it's wings weren't furled so he might have died of cold.  Then last Sunday I noticed that the other one had come out of it's cocoon and was fanning his wings!  Oh, he was beautiful!  I had never seen one like him.  Red and brown with white spots and Big!  He didn't like me taking pictures of him and so they are not so good pictures but here is the best of them.

 When we examined the cocoon we could find no hole large enough to permit the escape of such a large moth!

We think it may have been a male.  He would not come out of the jar but it was a bright sunny day. He flapped his wings open and closed and came to the lip (I had laid the jar down on it's side for easier egress) to look out.  He bristled and took a step toward me when he saw me looking at him and holding a ruler out to measure him.  6 inches wingtip to wingtip.  As  it got dark he held his wings upright, ready for takeoff.  Late in the night he left to have romantic adventures on his own.  We were so sad to see him go I made a paper replica to keep us company!
 It has been the adventure of the silkmoth!

3 comments:

  1. Eliyah says, "That was an interesting story. By the way, was the first animal to come out of the first cocoon, was it a moth with green wings? Hope you're having a good summer!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliyah, you saw it, it was all brown and dried up. But it did have the "eyes" that luna moths all have. I have read up and I think he needed a tree limb to hang his wings from to get them started. They were still all folded up like in the cocoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with the paper moth, Mom!

    ReplyDelete