Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Paper is here!

My youngest daughter used to say that desirable interiors, or clothes, or anything that needed to be fashionable, were "magazine" and I think that conveyed her intent very well.  Now that my home has been "published" in the paper does that make us "magazine"?  You know we are still unconventional!  It was such fun to see our familiar surroundings pictured in the Saturday paper.  We thought Ms. Krause did an excellent job too.  Lots of new blog readers showed up yesterday as she put the blog address at the end of the story.
However, I have already changed out the quilts on the quilt-rail.  I am late in doing so as I try to rotate them quarterly and I will have new ones for Christmas.

I have blown my monthly grocery budget.  I discovered that the "Butcher's Block" has a bulk rate, that I can get a sizable reduction in the price per pound if I buy a "package".  So I have spent $99.99 for 30 pounds of meat which just fits in our tiny freezer.  5 pounds each of lean ground beef, thick cut bacon, stew beef, pot roast, sweet Italian sausage, and chicken tenders.  The meat is top quality.   The temptation to chow down on high meat dinners is powerful.  I have already considered that maybe I won't be able to make it last 4 months.  But maybe 3 months . . .
That would mean that my monthly grocery budget will be $167.00 for the next 3 months.  But I haven't figured out how to recoup the extra $100 I've now spent for October!  Read here for further news on that!

We have company coming this week, in spades.  So the menus are patch-work:
Today, Meatloaf, cheesy rice and broccoli, sliced tomatoes, canned peaches.
Monday, double-meat chili, french bread with garlic butter and Parmesan, last of the peaches.
Tuesday, company breakfast:  bacon, sausage, hot biscuits, scrambled eggs, orange juice, coffee,
supper:  hamburgers, roasted garlic potatoes, sliced tomatoes, cupcakes.
Wednesday company supper, beef stew, hot biscuits, salad with blue cheese, apple pie.
Thursday, leftovers.
Friday: company dinner:  Kuliaba, (salmon in pie roll), last of the salad, assorted leftover desserts.
Saturday:  company breakfast:  poached eggs on toast, bacon, orange juice, eat out for supper.
Sunday:  company breakfast: biscuits with sausage gravy, hash browns, yellow tomato omelet, coffee and tea, eat out for supper.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to scan the paper tonight after work. I hope it works, then everyone can read the article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing the article about your home and antique collecting published in your newspaper and on your daughter's blog. It was very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you and enjoying your cusine.

    ReplyDelete